Last October I landed a one-two punch in thrifty karma…I found a “great-bones” chair curbside and a fantastic circa 1960s quilt topper for $4. I had no immediate plans for the topper, (I couldn’t pass up something that was carefully pieced together by another human being) and was waiting (frankly, procrastinating) on the chair. Then I saw this:
For some reason, this lit a fire under me….the fabric was big enough and thank goodness the chair ended up being really easy to take apart..
I started pulling the fabric apart and a million staples later…
This second layer of fabric was thankfully the last (based on the fabric choices, it looks like this chair was from the 1970s) The seat was easy to remove after taking off the bottom screws.
After a couple of coats of semi-gloss spray paint, (didn’t worry about covering the fabric when I did so since I was re-upholstering it anyway) the toughest part of this project was aligning the patches on the fabric on the back of the chair with the bottom cushion. Once I figured that out, the rest was just pulling and stapling in place. The tufting buttons were easily recovered with scrap fabric and a glue gun and pinned back into place. I also decided at the last minute to add a little black piping where the striped piping used to be. Attached it with the glue gun, naturally (essential tool..)
I am so happy with the finished product, this baby is going to go with me into the next century…and lucky for me, I’ve just found ANOTHER quilt top….
Come see some terrific creativity (seriously, there are so many beautiful things being done out there) at :